Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition that causes inflammation of the airways in the lungs. The inflammation makes moving the air in and out of the airways difficult, leading to difficulty in breathing. An asthma attack is a sudden worsening of asthma symptoms like shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, tightness in the chest, and troubled breathing. The only way to tackle the asthma attack is by having a proper plan designed by experts. Here at The Allergy Suite, you will find well-trained experts of asthma treatment in Novi, MI.
But what to do if you are alone and having an asthma attack? here are some things you should do immediately:
- Sit straight and try to remain calm. Lying down or bending over can constrict breathing which can lead to worsening of the situation.
- Find your inhaler as it relaxes the airway muscles making breathing easier. It is best to use the inhaler with the spacer. Breathe slowly through the mouth and hold your breath for 10 seconds. In case the inhaler doesn’t have a spacer, remove the inhaler cap and shake it well. Breathe out all the way and seal your lips as tight as possible around the inhaler mouthpiece. As you start to breathe slowly, press the inhaler once. It is best to hold your breath for 10 seconds for better results.
- Try to remain calm as stress and panic can worsen the symptoms. Staying calm will prevent the tightening of your chest muscles and make your breathing a lot easier.
- Take deep and long breaths as it helps in slowing down your breathing and preventing hyperventilation. It is best to breathe through the nose and breathe out through the mouth.
- Asthma attacks are usually triggered by something that you are allergic to or something that can irritate your airways. Get away from the dust, smoke of the cigarette, the smell of the chemicals, pet dander, mold, pollution, particular fragrance, pollens or any other possible trigger as soon as possible. It is best to go to a place where the air is clean or go to an air-conditioned home. If you aren’t sure what is causing the trigger, see an asthma allergy specialist. They will help you figure it out by running some tests.
After rest, if the symptoms don’t seem to fade, seek medical attention to control your asthma. The doctors will check for the severity and accordingly suggest the treatment and medications.
It is important to remember that asthma attacks can be severe. Therefore, it is best to look for asthma attack treatment in Novi, MI, to live a healthy everyday life. The allergists and immunologists at The Allergy Suite are experienced and can help you manage your asthma. They will suggest the best medications and help you identify the triggers and avoid them so that you don’t have to suffer asthma attacks. To know more, contact us here.