Contact dermatitis is a red, itchy rash that occurs as a result of direct contact or reaction to a certain substance. It can be highly uncomfortable and frustrating for the sufferer, with constant itching and dry, flaky skin. It can crop up due to contact with several substances such as detergents, soaps, perfumes, skincare products, bleach, jewelry, latex gloves or poison ivy. In this article, we will discuss how to manage contact dermatitis and avail contact dermatitis treatment in Novi MI.
Symptoms of Contact Dermatitis
The symptoms of contact dermatitis can vary depending on the cause and the level of your sensitivity towards the substance. The symptoms generally occur on and near the areas of your body that are directly exposed to the substance causing the reaction. The signs and symptoms can include:
- Dry, flaky and scaly skin
- Blisters with oozing
- Bumps or open sores with crusting
- Skin redness
- Skin tenderness
- Burning sensation
- Extreme itching
- Dryness and cracking of skin
- Stiffness or tightness of skin
When to See a doctor?
You should consult a doctor who specializes in the treatment of allergies and conditions such as contact dermatitis in case you experience any of the following:
Your rash becomes so uncomfortable that you have trouble sleeping or you get distracted from your everyday activities.
You experience a lot of pain.
- Your rash spreads over a large area of your body.
- Your rash affects your face or genitals.
- Your rash does not go away after a few days.
- You develop blisters.
- There is infection on your skin. You may develop a fever and experience pus oozing out of blisters in this case.
- There is inflammation and pain in your lungs, eyes or nasal passages.
- You feel that the rash has inflicted damage on the mucous lining of your mouth and digestive tract.
Your doctor will inspect your condition and ask you questions to diagnose the condition and prescribe an appropriate treatment plan. They might perform skin tests to ascertain the substance that you are allergic to.
According to the severity and of the condition, they may prescribe medications including:
- Steroid pills, creams, or ointment
- Anti-itch treatments such as hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion
- Immunosuppressive medications for severe cases
- Other treatment options based on your specific condition
Avoid allergens and irritants : With the help of your doctor, identify the substances that cause an allergic reaction or irritate your skin. Avoid contact with them.
Wash your skin : When you come in contact with a substance that causes a rash, wash the area of your skin immediately after contact. Apply a mild, fragrance-free soap and rinse thoroughly.
Use gloves and protective clothing : If you can’t avoid the substance that’s irritating your skin, use protective items such as face masks, gloves and goggles to protect your skin.
Use a barrier cream : If you experience frequent reactions, you can use a barrier gel or cream as they provide a protective layer for your skin. It is advisable to consult your doctor before using a cream.
Be careful around pets : Pets can carry allergens from plants such as poison ivy and spread these to people who come in close contact with them.
We, at The Allergy Suite, specialize in comprehensive treatments for various allergies and immune diseases. Our doctors work in collaboration with the patient to help them manage their allergies or conditions in the best way possible. To get the best contact dermatitis treatment in Novi MI, contact us.